The following is from the booklet, Historic Arlington, ©2001, by the Arlington County Bicentennial Task Force and the County’s Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board, rev.ed. Historic Arlington, 1608-1932 by Ludwell Lee Montague. Arlington County Historical Committee, 1968.
The Arlington Community is indebted to the late Dr. Ludwell Lee Montague, who authored the original edition of this work in 1968, and to the Arlington Historical Commission, which sponsored the original project. In 1976, as part of Arlington County’s participation in the U.S. Bicentennial celebration, a revised and updated Historic Arlington was prepared by the Arlington Historical Commission. In 1976, the Arlington Historical Commission became the Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board (HALRB).
This edition is issued as part of Arlington County’s 2001 Bicentennial Celebration. As with the two previous editions, it is hoped that this booklet will continue to foster a greater community awareness of Arlington County’s rich and diverse history that began so long ago in 1608 when Captain John Smith visited Nameroughquena.
The Arlington County Bicentennial Task Force and the County’s Historical Affairs and Landmark Review Board trust that a greater awareness of our County’s heritage will contribute to the planning for Arlington’s future and to the preservation of the many historic resources throughout the County.
The Arlington Bicentennial Celebration Task Force and the HALRB wish to thank Allen Kitchens, who headed the effort to revise and significantly update the 1976 edition. He was assisted by Gail Baker, Sara Collins, Michael Leventhal, Debbie Powers, Ruth Rose, and Karl VanNewkirk.